Minutes of Proceedings
Date: Tuesday, 07 February 2012
Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings
The meeting opened at 11.03a.m. in public session
Apologies are detailed above.
2. Minutes of the last meeting
Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the Committee meeting held on Tuesday, 31 January 2012.
3. Matters Arising
There were no matters arising.
The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Justice regarding its review on the arrangements for the appointment and removal of judicial office holders.
5. Review of Parts III and IV of the Northern Ireland Act in the Context of Reviewing the Size of the NI Assembly and the number of NI Departments
The Chairperson reminded the Committee that the purpose of this agenda item was for the Committee to consider and agree the wording of the revised Terms of Reference of its Review of Parts III and IV of the Northern Ireland Act, the detailed stakeholder list, the revised timetable of the Review and a draft of a stakeholder ‘Call for Evidence’ paper.
The Clerk briefed the Committee on the papers before Members today.
The Committee discussed its forthcoming Review including the revised Terms of Reference, the detailed stakeholder list, the revised timetable and a draft stakeholder ‘Call for Evidence’ paper.
Agreed: To add the phrase “consistent with the safeguards on inclusivity,” in the draft terms of reference under bullet point 3.
Agreed: To add to the detailed stakeholder list, the Clerk/Director General of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Mr Roy Beggs joined the meeting at 11.16am.
Mr. Simon Hamilton joined the meeting at 11.16am.
Agreed: The Committee agreed the detailed stakeholder list.
Mr Paul Givan joined the meeting at 11.17am.
Agreed: Content with the revised, phased timetable.
Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Committee staff complete the drafting of the stakeholder ‘Call for Evidence’ paper in line with the Committee’s comments and views regarding:
- background information on any further reduction in the number of MLAs that may transpire, beyond the implications of the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Act 2011;
- further background information in relation to the number of MLAs and the number of constituencies; and
- clarity in the questions on the number of MLAs if Northern Ireland’s link with with Westminster constituencies is either retained or removed.
Agreed: To consider the amended draft stakeholder ‘Call for Evidence’ paper at the next meeting.
6. Any Other Business
There were no other items of business.
7. Date, time and place of next meeting
The next meeting of the Assembly and Executive Review Committee will be held on 14 February 2012, at 11.00 am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.
The Deputy Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 11.30pm
Mr Pat Sheehan
Deputy Chairperson, Assembly and Executive Review Committee