ASSEMBLY BUSINESS

Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Venue: Room 30, Parliament Buildings

2.02pm The meeting commenced in Open Session

1. Apologies

None

2. Minutes

Agreed: The Committee agreed the Minutes of the meeting of 13 September 2011.

3. Matters Arising and Correspondence

(a) Correspondence issued

The Committee noted correspondence issued since the meeting of 13 September 2011.

(b) Correspondence received

Agreed: The Committee noted a memo from the Committee for Finance and Personnel (15 September) – in relation to Post Project Evaluations and agreed to seek further information from the Department.

Agreed: The Committee notedthe letter from Ballymena Borough Council (12 September) in relation to clearing litter from Rivers/River Banks and agreed to seek further information from the Department and to write to the Department of Environment via the Committee for the Environment in an effort to clarify respective remits.

The Chairperson declared an interest as a member of Ballymena Borough Council.

Noted: The Committee noted correspondence from the Big Lottery Fund (9 September) in relation to its remit and scope.

Agreed: The Committee noted the tabled correspondence from the Committee of the Environment (19 September) in relation to a research paper entitled ‘Opportunities and Barriers for Local Councils in Implementing Carbon Management Reductions Plan’. It was agreed that the correspondence should be forwarded to the Department for reply.

William Irwin joined the meeting at 2.08pm. 
Conor Murphy joined the meeting at 2.08pm. 
Thomas Buchanan joined the meeting at 2.09pm. 
Willie Clarke joined the meeting at 2.10pm.

The following Members declared interests as councillors:

The Chairperson, Thomas Buchanan, Willie Clarke, Jo-Anne Dobson, William Irwin, Kieran McCarthy and Oliver McMullan.

Agreed: The Committee noted the tabled correspondence from the Association of Veterinary Surgeons practising in Northern Ireland (AVSNI) in relation to the lack of 3rd level veterinary courses in Northern Ireland. It was agreed that, as this is primarily a matter for the Committee for Employment and learning, the letter is forwarded to that Committee for comment.

The Chairperson indicated that he planned to meet with AVSNI in a private capacity and other Members of the Committee were invited to attend.

Trevor Clarke joined the meeting at 2.36pm.

4. Presentation: Farmers for Action

The following witnesses joined the meeting:

William Taylor 
Sean McAuley

William Irwin declared an interest as a farmer.

Robin Swann declared an interest as a member of the Young Farmers’ Club of Ulster’.

The witnesses briefed the Committee on a number of agricultural issues and this was followed by a question and answer session.

Kieran McCarthy left the meeting at 3.01pm.

The deputy Chairperson left the meeting at 3.08 pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department in relation to a number of issues and commissioned research on the extent and range of public sector assistance available to major supermarkets in Northern Ireland.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department of the Environment via the Environment Committee in relation to Corporate Social Responsibility.

5. Rural Crime

The Committee considered how it wished to progress its concerns about Rural Crime.

Agreed: Members agreed the terms of a letter to the Minister in relation to Rural Crime and that it be copied to the Committee for Justice.

6. SR 2011/233: The Plant Health (Amendment No.2) Order (NI) 2011

Agreed: The Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development has considered the Plant Health (Amendment No.2) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011and has no objection to the rule.

7. SR 2011/248: Eggs and Chicks (Amendment) Regulations (NI) 2011

Agreed: The Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development has considered Eggs and Chicks (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011and has no objection to the rule.

8. SR 2011/258: The Animal By-Products (Enforcement) (Amendment) Regulations (NI) 2011

Agreed: The Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development has considered the Animal By-Products (Enforcement) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011and has no objection to the rule.

9. SR 2011/263: Foyle Area and Carlingford Area (Prohibition of Unlicensed Fishing) (Prescribed Species) Regulations 2011

Agreed: The Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development has considered the Foyle Area and Carlingford Area (Prohibition of Unlicensed Fishing) (Prescribed Species) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011and has no objection to the rule.

10. SR 2011/278: The Dogs (Fixed Penalties) Regulations (NI) 2011

Agreed: The Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development has considered the Dogs (Fixed Penalties) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011and has no objection to the rule.

11. SR 2011/279: The Dogs (Licensing and identification) Regulations (NI) 2011

Agreed: The Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development has considered the Dogs (Licensing and identification) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011and has no objection to the rule.

12. SR 2011/297: The Foyle Area (Angling Permit) Regulations 2011

Agreed: The Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development has considered the Foyle Area (Angling Permit) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011and has no objection to the rule.

13. Chairpersons Business

Members agreed that the Chairperson should meet with Justin King, the Chief Executive of Sainsbury’s at 3pm on 6 October 2011 and report back to the Committee at a future meeting.

14. Any Other Business

Noted: Members noted the Information pack for the visit to National Ploughing Championships on Wednesday 21 September 2011.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to issue a press release about the visit as amended.

Noted: Members noted that Mrs Kelly, Mr T Clarke and Mr Swann along with the Committee researcher will attend the DARD Evidence and Innovation Stakeholder Forum due to take place on Wednesday 28 September 2011 in Rosspark, Kells, Ballymena.

Noted: The Committee noted the tabled Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to issue a press release in relation to business discussed at the Committee meeting, as amended.

Oliver McMullan, Conor Murphy, Willie Clarke left the meeting at 3.43pm.

Noted: The Committee noted the tabled questions for Minister’s oral questions in Plenary, due to take place on Tuesday 27 September at 2.00pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department in relation to issues about planning applications for anaerobic digesters.

15. Date of next meeting

Agreed: The next meeting of the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development will take place on Tuesday 27 September 2011, at 2.30pm, in Room 30 Parliament Buildings.

The meeting was adjourned at 3.45pm

Mr Paul Frew, Chairperson, Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up